World Radon Control
Your Subtitle text
About Radon
What is Radon?

Radon is a radioactive gas, formed by the natural radioactive decay of uranium in rock, soil and water.  Low levels of uranium are found in all 50 states.  Once produced, radon moves through the ground to the air above.  It is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and chemically inert.

Radon-222 is the decay product of radium-226. Radon-222 and its parent, radium-226, are part of the long decay chain for uranium-238. Since uranium is essentially ubiquitous (being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time) in the earth's crust, radium-226 and radon-222 are present in almost all rock and all soil and water.

The amount of radon in the soil depends on soil chemistry, which varies from one house to the next. Radon levels in the soil range from a few hundred to several thousands of pCi/L (pico Curries per Liter). The amount of radon that escapes from the soil to enter the house depends on the weather, soil porosity, soil moisture, and the suction within the house.

How does it get into my home?

Any home may have a radon problem, including your home!

Radon is a radioactive gas.  It comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Your home traps radon inside, where it can build up. Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements.

Who Can fix my home?

World Radon Control, Inc is a qualified radon service professional certified by the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) and the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB).  We can perform help you test your home, perform a radon test for you.  If you have elevated radon levels call World Radon Control Systems at (502) 718-1330 or contact us for a radon mitigation.












Contact your State Radon Contact to determine what are, or whether there are, requirements associated with providing radon measurement and or radon mitigations/reductions in your State. Some States maintain lists of contractors available in their state or they have proficiency programs or requirements of their own.

Contact one or both of the two privately-run Radon Proficiency Program (listed here alphabetically) who are offering proficiency listing/accreditation/certification in radon testing and mitigation.

The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
National Radon Proficiency Program
Administrative Office
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 2109
Fletcher, NC 28732
Delivery Address:
313 Banner Farm Road, Suite 1-B
Horse Shoe, NC 28742
Toll Free: (800) 269-4174 or (828) 890-4117
Fax: (828) 890-4161
E-Mail Address:

The National Radon Safety Board (NRSB)
P.O. Box 703
Athens, TX 75751
Toll Free: (866) 329-3474
Fax: (903) 675-3748
E-mail Address:

(Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government.)
Please Note: EPA-issued Radon Measurement (RMP) and Mitigation (RCP) photo-identification cards, listing letters and identification numbers have not been valid since EPA closed its proficiency program in October 1998. Consequently, persons and companies should not represent themselves, their products or their services as "EPA Listed" or "EPA Approved", or otherwise imply an EPA sanction. Consumers are encouraged to contact their State radon office ( ) for additional information or if you have a complaint/question.

If you have further questions about Radon, please call your State Radon Contact or the National Radon Information Line at:

[1 (800) 767-7236]

To get a discounted Radon Test Kit , go to the National Safety Council's Environmental Health Center

How to Order Publications from EPA
P.O. Box 37133, Washington, DC 20013-7133
(fax) 703-356-5386

or, you can order these publications directly via EPA's National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP) ( web site. Your publication requests can also be mailed, called or faxed directly to:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
National Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP)
P.O. Box 42419
Cincinnati, OH 42419
1-800-490-9198/(513) 489-8695 (fax)


 [logo] US EPA 

Will it really hurt me?

EPA already has a wealth of scientific data on the relationship between radon exposure and the development of lung cancer. Health authorities like the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Surgeon General , the American Lung Association, the American Medical Association, and others agree that we know enough now to recommend radon testing and to encourage public action when levels are above 4 pCi/L.

Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer and is a serious public health problem. As in the case of cigarette smoking, it would probably take many years and rigorous scientific research to produce the composite data needed to make an even more definitive conclusion.

 Sources: Environmental Protection Agency: Radon - Health Risk.

Does everybody have Radon?

The EPA published map of radon in Kentucky:

Zone 1 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) (red zones) Highest Potential
Zone 2 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (orange zones) Moderate Potential
Zone 3 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level less than 2 pCi/L (yellow zones) Low Potential

The EPA published map of radon in Indiana:


Watch a video about RADON


Sources: Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection :
Bureau of Radiation Protection.

Website Builder